Date:      Sat, 31 May 2003 15:52:42 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        keith@smmc.qld.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help..can I use DUMP? my drive is dying - VINUM ?

--k9xkV0rc9XGsukaG

On Saturday, 31 May 2003 at 13:39:49 +1000, keith@smmc.qld.edu.au wrote:
> I have a one and only drive dying on a server (OK - to use vinum is to
> be smarter than I am). Anyways I have unsuccessfully tried to image the
> drive using some util that is recommended (?) Can I dump the slices to a
> remote machine, install 2 new drives follow the tute to bootstrap vinum
> then restore the remote saved slices to the various slice/partitions?
> In a bind(4) here! anyone clue me in please?

That depends on what's wrong with your disk and why your first "some
util" attempt failed.  Vinum isn't a disk recovery tool, nor is it
particularly for that purpose, so there's no particular reason to
assume it will work better than your "some util".  Of course, if you
give some details, somebody may be able to help you.

Greg

--k9xkV0rc9XGsukaG

--k9xkV0rc9XGsukaG--