Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2018 09:30:08 +0300
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [UEFI] Boot issues on some UEFI implementations

> On 24 Jul 2018, at 09:20, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 2018-07-13 07:00, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> The problem is some kind of weird. I face UEFI boot problems on GPT =
drives
>> where the first partition begins at block 40 of the hdd/ssd.
>>=20
>> I have two host in private use based on an
>> outdated ASRock Z77-Pro4-M and Z77-Pro4 mainboard (IvyBridge, Socket =
LGA1155).
>> Both boards are equipted with the lates official available AMI =
firmware
>> revision, dating to 2013. This is for the Z77-Pro4-M revision 2.0 =
(2013/7/23)
>> and for the Z77 Pro4 revision 1.8 (2013/7/17). For both boards a BETA =
revision
>> for the Spectre/Meltdown mitigation is available, but I didn't test =
that. But
>> please read.
>>=20
>> The third box I realised this problem is a brand new Fujitsu Esprimo =
Q956, also
>> AMI firmware, at V5.0.0.11 R 1.26.0 for 3413-A1x, date 05/25/2018 (or =
20180525).
>>=20
>> Installing on any kind of HDD or SSD manually or via bsdinstall the =
OS using
>> UEFI-only boot method on a GPT partitioned device fails. The ASRock =
boards jump
>> immediately into the firmware, the Fujitsu offers some kind of =
CPU/Memory/HDD
>> test facility.
>>=20
>> If on both type of vendor/boards CSM is disabled and UEFI boot only =
is implied,
>> the MBR partitioned FreeBSD installation USB flash device does boot =
in UEFI! I
>> guess I can assume this when the well known clumsy 80x25 char console =
suddenly
>> gets bright and shiny with a much higher resoltion as long the GPU =
supports
>> EFI GOP. Looking with gpart at the USB flash drives reveals that the =
EFI
>> partition starts at block 1 of the device and the device has a MBR =
layout. I
>> haven't found a way to force the GPT scheme, when initialised via =
gpart, to let
>> the partitions start at block 1. This might be a naiv thinking, so =
please be
>> patient with me.
>>=20
>> I do not know whether this is a well-known issue. On the ASRock =
boards, I
>> tried years ago some LinuxRed Hat and Suse with UEFI and that worked =
- FreeBSD
>> not. I gave up on that that time. Now, having the very same issues =
with a new
>> Fujitsu system, leaves me with the impression that FreeBSD's UEFI
>> implementation might have problems I'm not aware of.
>>=20
>> Can someone shed some light onto this?=20
>>=20
>> Thanks in advance,
>>=20
>> Oliver=20
>>=20
>=20
> If you are up for experimenting, see if either of these results in =
your
> system booting:
> gpart set -a active ada0
> gpart set -a lenovofix ada0
>=20
> Although both of these should only impact BIOS boot, not UEFI, you =
never
> know.
>=20
> The other option is to try an ESP (EFI System Partition) that is
> formatted FAT32 instead of FAT12/FAT16)
>=20
>=20

oops, indeed, and not just FAT32, but rather large one; first, the =
minimum size for FAT32 is ~32MB - it can not be smaller, and with 4kn =
you can not get below 256MB:)

but, I recall there were some reports about systems refusing to boot if =
ESP was not FAT32. I can not remember if there was some size limit =
involved too or not (the UEFI specification does not set requirements =
for ESP size).

my 2cents,
toomas