Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:20:50 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        freebsd-questions Question <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Three questions...

On Jul 15, 2005, at 2:01 PM, lars wrote:

> George Ruch wrote:
>
>> Q1:  I have two drives, laid out as follows:
>> Drive 1
>> /ad0a      WinXP, NTFS, 16.06GB, primary
>> /ad0e     data, NTFS, 12.58GB, extended
>> Drive 2
>> /ad1a     currently empty, 14.36GB, primary
>>           (installation target)
>> /ad1e     /ad0 backup, NTFS, 14.27GB, extended
>> I'd like to use XP's NTLDR to manage the dual boot process.  I've
>> seen the following trick for Linux ( www.redhat.com/advice/tips/
>> dualboot.html):
>> - Boot into Linux, copy the first sector of the boot partition as
>> follows:
>>     dd if=/dev/hdb of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
>> - Move bootsect.lnx to WinXP root (C:\), and add the following
>> line to boot.ini:
>>     C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"
>> Does this approach work with FreeBSD?  Logic says it should, given
>> the similarities, but when has logic applied consistently to
>> computers?
>>
> I can't say anything about it, never done it, check google.

I did something like that once with no problem.  Can't comment on the
specifics since it was a while ago but it did work.

What happens in this case, I believe, is that the Windows Boot
Manager then boots the FBSD boot manager.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider