Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:26:39 +0200
From:      hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
To:        Frank Laszlo <laszlof@vonostingroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libtool upgrade, entry 20060223 in UPDATING

Frank Laszlo wrote:

> Hans Lambermont wrote:
>> The 20060223 entry in UPDATING suggests that the only reliable way of
>> upgrading a system is to remove all packages and reinstalling from
>> scratch.
>> Next to that I'd like to hear from others how to accomplish this
>> all-ports upgrade on servers where one wants the downtime to be
>> minimal.
>
> portupgrade -afp isnt good enough?

No, I want to have minimal downtime of the server. When using
'portupgrade -afp' the system is in flux for almost a week. I want to
avoid that, and the only way I know how to avoid that is to use a
staging and build server (at least that's the idea).

Besides, the 20060223 entry in UPDATING mentions :

  Unfortunately, there is no simple upgrade path.  Short of removing
  all packages and reinstalling from scratch, the only other viable
  alternative would be careful use of portupgrade.

I assume -afp is not 'careful use of portupgrade'. It follows with :

  Given the large
  number of different ways in which libtool is used by other ports
  in the tree, this is a process that is likely to vary considerably
  from system to system, and as such, folks should be very mindful
  of running automatic updating software, such as portupgrade, making
  extensive use of the -n flag (and equivalents for other updaters)
  to see what will actually be rebuilt, before actually performing
  the upgrade.

Which makes me wonder what to look for when using '-n', how to decide
whether to update a port or not ?

-- Hans Lambermont