Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:49:28 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?0JDQvdC00YDQtdC5INCf0L7Qu9GP0LrQvtCy?= <aspolyakov@e1.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-net: ether alias

On Oct 19, 2007, at 2:41 AM, =D0=90=D0=BD=D0=B4=D1=80=D0=B5=D0=B9 =
=D0=9F=D0=BE=D0=BB=D1=8F=D0=BA=D0=BE=D0=B2 wrote:
> Hi, I am using freebsd 6.2.  And I am doubt how to add a harware =20
> address alias to my NIC wich would be associated with ip. For =20
> example, there are configuration:
[ ... ]
> How do I setup multiple mac addresses?

You can do this by proxy-arping; see "man arp":

      -s hostname ether_addr
              Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with =20
the Ether-
              net address ether_addr.  The Ethernet address is given =20
as six hex
              bytes separated by colons.  The entry will be permanent =20=

unless
              the word temp is given in the command.  If the word pub =20=

is given,
              the entry will be ``published''; i.e., this system will =20=

act as an
              ARP server, responding to requests for hostname even =20
though the
              host address is not its own.  In this case the =20
ether_addr can be
              given as auto in which case the interfaces on this host =20=

will be
              examined, and if one of them is found to occupy the =20
same subnet,
              its Ethernet address will be used.  If the only keyword =20=

is also
              specified, this will create a ``published (proxy =20
only)'' entry.
              This type of entry is created automatically if arp =20
detects that a
              routing table entry for hostname already exists.

--=20
-Chuck