Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:14:07 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Cor Bosman <cor@xs4all.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum with 33 disks doesnt work.

On Friday,  8 September 2000 at  3:31:42 +0200, Cor Bosman wrote:
> Hi all, im building a 32 * 72 GB fileserver. Im trying to use vinum
> to create 4 seperate stripes of 8 disks. A similar setup on another
> box but with 1 set of 8 disks works fine.
>
> No matter what I try on this box though, disk da32 (the bootdisk is da0, and
> we have 32 disks extra) can not be added to a stripe. It remains in
> state 'referenced'. Everything upto disk da31 works fine. Building
> 3 x 8 and 1 x 7 works fine too. But i can not create a 4th set of 8.
>
> I think the problem lies with the fact that da32 starts using hex
> minor device numbers. The last partition in da31 uses 256. Probably
> vinum doesnt take this into account.

Correct.  This is a current limitation in Vinum.

> This is on a FreeBSD 4.1. Ive heard from someone else that they
> managed to create a 48 disk vinum partition on 3.2.

Interesting.  It's possible that some changes required for early
startup have caused this regression.  When devfs is stable, Vinum will
change to devfs (and require it), and this restriction will go away.
In the meantime, I'll take a look at the code and see if I can do
something for you.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.