Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 22:45:53 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Chris <chris@ferraro.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP problems

> I am having a process with User Process PPP.  I am using the September 23
> release, but the problem occurs on older versions.  I am using FreeBSD
> 2.2.2.
>
> I have replaced the configuration files with the newer versions and
> modified them to no avail.
>
> Occasionally, PPP traffic just stops.  PPP won't pass any traffic.  The
> routing tables do not change.  The problem occurs randomly.  Outgoing ping
> traffic simply is not returned, but does not return a message (ie. no
> route to host).  I can ping other systems on my local network and myself
> without problems.
>

> Routing tables
[perfectly fine routing table deleted]

Does the connection close ?

I've seen ppp doing this once or twice, for no reason.  Everything
seems to "hang", and a short while later things are fine again.  I
haven't treated it as a potential problem yet 'cos I consider such
things to be potential "glitches" with my ISP.

If it's happening reasonably consistently for you, you'll need to
diagnose it a bit more - there are instructions now in section 10 of
the FAQ on how to do this.

You'll probably need to "set log +tcp/ip" in addition, but you only
need do this while the connection is "pausing".  Set yourself up a
script:

#! /bin/sh
val=+
test ."$1" = .off && val=-
exec pppctl -p mypasswd 3000 set log ${val}tcp/ip

You can then find out if the traffic is actually going out or not.
Of course if you have an external modem, you can probably just look
at the TX light.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;