Date:      Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:38:13 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer@netfence.it>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sligtly OT: setting static routes on clients

Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Dec 09), Andrea Venturoli said:
>
>>Hello.
>>I've got a network of clients on which I'd like to set static routes;
>>these are mainly (but not only) Windows machines, administered through a
>>couple of FreeBSD servers.
>>Is there any way to do this with DHCP?
>>Or via Samba (netlogon.cmd)?
>

> You can try using the DHCP Classless Static Route option (#121, see RFC
> 3442). MSDN claims that Windows XP and Server 2003 will process them.
> FreeBSD's dhclient does not, but you should still be able to set its
> dhcp server to send them.

You mean, from man dhcp-options:

        option static-routes ip-address ip-address
                          [, ip-address ip-address...];

          This  option specifies a list of static routes that the client
should
          install in its routing cache.  If multiple routes to the same
  desti-
          nation  are  specified, they are listed in descending order of
prior-
          ity.

          The routes consist of a list of IP address pairs.  The first
address
          is  the destination address, and the second address is the
router for
          the destination.

          The default route (0.0.0.0) is an illegal destination  for  a
  static
          route.  To specify the default route, use the routers option.
   Also,
          please note that this option is not intended for classless IP
routing
          -  it does not include a subnet mask.   Since classless IP
routing is
          now the most widely deployed routing standard, this option is
  virtu-
          ally  useless,  and  is  not  implemented  by any of the
popular DHCP
          clients, for example the Microsoft DHCP client.

?

Well, I tryed this one, it seemed the most obvious thing.
However I didn't succeed, unless I was trying to specify a route to *a
single IP*. In case I wanted for example to specify a route to
192.168.101.*, what should I put in there?

Here's what I tryed:
option static-routes    192.168.101.0 10.1.2.13;

Here's what I get on a Windows 2000 client with netstat -rn:
Network destination	Netmask			Gateway
192.168.101.0		255.255.255.255		10.1.2.13

Now, I don't think that netmask is so good, isn't it?

  bye & Thanks
	av.