Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:03:08 -0800
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, studded@dal.net, jkh@freebsd.org, wilko@freebsd.org, nik@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for RELNOTESng feedback

--==_Exmh_2031838548P

Hi fellow doc-ers...

I'd like to get some feedback on RELNOTESng. A snapshot, which tracks
the state of 5.0-CURRENT, is at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/

Note that the architecture-dependent files (relnotes and hardware) were
produced using only one set of source files.  Thanks to the wonders of
our DocBook toolchain, we can do multiple formats of the release
documentation.

Through consolidation, I've pruned down the number of files the user
sees from about 10 to 4.  I'm not completely happy with the way it's
turned out, and I might break out the installation-related text into its
own document.  Also the back parts of the relnotes might move to the
readme document.

Things I'd like to ask the doc project:

1.  What do you think?

2.  Is it time to socialize this to a larger audience, and if so, which
audience?  I was thinking of something like either -current or -hackers.

3.  Anyone want to help?  I'm getting a little tired marking up
documents.  Plus, I don't know how good my DocBook markup is.

4.  I just stumbled on the docproj current projects page.  If Doug
<studded@dal.net> reads this, I didn't know that you (or anyone else)
was working on "Fixup the FOO.TXT files".  Have I stepped on your toes?
If so, I'm sorry.

5.  The next steps are something like this:

	A.  Figure out how to do markup on {alpha/i386}/INSTALL.TXT
	(which I just discovered) and alpha/HARDWARE.TXT.  Or at the
	very least, what to do with these files.

	(Jordan, can I hack on / replace INSTALL.TXT?  This looks like what
	goes on the liner notes for the CD.)

	(Wilko, we talked briefly about you doing markup for
	alpha/HARDWARE.TXT.  Feel up to it?)

	B.  Figure out the magic necessary to generate the *.TXT
	files at release-building time.

	C.  Check documents into the tree (-CURRENT only).

	D.  Commit RELNOTESng-building magic.  We should make RELNOTESng
	off by default, but I don't want to delay it any longer than
	necessary, because I'm maintaining *three* release notes files
	just for CURRENT.

	E.  Enable RELNOTESng building with releases by default.

	F.  *Maybe* MFC to 4-STABLE (after 4.3-RELEASE).

Lots of steps here, but I feel like I'm pretty close to something
commitable, and as it now, it gives a pretty good idea of what the final
product should look like.  I'd like to get the blessing of someone
authoritative (Nik? Jordan?) that this is at least a halfway worthy
effort and that I stand a reasonable chance of putting this in the tree.

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_2031838548P

--==_Exmh_2031838548P--