Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:32:47 +0200
From:      "Ian Barnes" <ian@cerebellum.za.net>
To:        "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Launch X at boot

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To: <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 7:26 PM
Subject: Launch X at boot

> I know this is probably an obvious question, but so far my attempts at
> writing a script to do this have failed.
>
> I would like to launch X windows at boot, and have it query an xdm server.
> I attempted to put a script with:
>
> #/bin/sh
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X -query whitetower
>
> in my /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory. When I boot, though, I get nothing -
> not even error messages. I did check that the file permissions were set
> (700) - and it works if I run it from the command line (after logging in)
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
> Seth Henry

Hi,

In your /etc/ttys file.. make the last one :

ttyv(whatever your last one is)   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on
secure

Reboot, and then it should start xdm... if you are running KDE, you could
use KDM, and i dont know about gnome and all the others, but im sure they
have loaders aswell.

Ian