Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:32:28 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware looking for /dev/vmnet1 rather than 0

In message <200111141757.fAEHvZl05033@fac13.ds.psu.edu>, "Richard E. Hawkins" w
rites:
>vmware has been working fine for months.  Suddenly it is now looking
>for the wrong virtual network device, /dev/vmnet1, rather than
>/dev/vmnet0 (isn't that where it normally goes?)

I think it always used vmnet1, but something has definitely broken
in the last few weeks. I suspect the changes to the linuxulator
are the cause, but vmware's freebsd shims do weird things that
probably depended too much on the internal workings of the linux
emulation code.

A ktrace of vmware as it fails shows that it opens /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1
and attempts to do a SIOCGIFADDR ioctl on that descriptor (i.e a
socket ioctl on a character device descriptor) but gets an EINVAL
return. I haven't figured out for sure if it uses the linux (0x8915)
or freebsd number for the ioctl.

Ian