Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 00:35:06 -0300
From:      Ulrich Peters <upeters@mindquake.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to create a bootable CD from an existing FreeBSD installation?

Hello,

I have seen this question before, and nobody answered. I am having
the same problem as other users.

Currently using the FreeBSD Mall 4CD set of version 4.5, I made a new
install of FreeBSD and followed the instructions found in the
handbook. Those instructions seem to be or inaccurate, or wrong,
because they don't work.

When executing the command

# mkisofs -U -R -b boot/cdboot -o /tmp/bootable.iso /

one gets the following error message:

Size of boot image is 4 sectors ->
mkisofs: Error - boot image '/boot/cdboot' is not the an allowable size.

If I use the boot.flp found on the CD set as boot image, the CD can
be used, however it starts the interactive install instead of the
existing install, and the generic kernel instead of my own. In short,
it doesn't work.

Can anybody tell me how to create a working and bootable ISO image of
an existing FreeBSD installation? Where can I find the information? I
already looked at the mkisofs author's page, but there is almost
nothing at all said about FreeBSD.
Or does anybody know where to direct this question to, to get an
answer? Who is this Mike Meyer guy who wrote the chapter of the
handbook, how to get updated info?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ulrich