Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:47:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   leafnode: Can't find group information file (fwd)

I'm copying this message to the main FreeBSD list, as I haven't had
much response from the FreeBSD-UK list..

----- Forwarded message from David R Marsh -----

Hi (again),

I'm being stumped by leafnode as well!

When I run either of trn or Netscape news, I get the following error,
which I assume is from leafnode, rather than either program, since _both_
news clients report the same error:

	503 Group information file does not exist!

And, if I try to run leafnode as root, I get:

	200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, RCS version 1.19 running at localhost

	400 Dazed and confused

Oh dearie... :-(

As far as I can see, leafnode is installed correctly, and mentioned in
/etc/inetd.conf as:

nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/local/sbin/leafnode leafnode

The leafnode config files are:

# ll /usr/lib/leafnode
total 4
drwxrwxrwx  2 news  news   512 Jun 14 02:25 ./
drwxrwxrwx  4 bin   bin   2048 Jun 11 23:14 ../
-rwxrwxrwx  1 news  news   136 Jun 13 10:55 config*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 news  news     0 Jun 14 02:25 groupinfo*

I haven't put anything in groupinfo (just touched it to create it) since the
man page says that fetch will rebuild it in case of any error.

I'm not quite as big an expert on users, groups and permissions as perhaps I
should be, so I went a little OTT in giving everybody access to this
directory to see if that would help.

But still no joy :-(

User news is in group news, but I wasn't sure what priveleges that group has:
/usr and /usr/lib are owned by root:wheel and bin:bin and these have
slightly more paranoid permissions. Here's where I get confused: do more
liberal file permissions for a directory within a directory
(ie /usr/lib/leafnode) over-ride the more restrictive (ie go-w) permissions
of /usr?  Should I/do I need to give go+w permission for /usr? This seems a
little risky!

Once again, any help to get my news working would be enormously appreciated!

Thanks,

David Marsh.
drmarsh@bigfoot.com (despite or maybe even according to the headers)

----- End of forwarded message from David R Marsh -----

--
David Marsh,drmarsh@bigfoot.com   | http://squelch.home.ml.org/            |
Glasgow/Glaschu, Scotland.          *If urgent, phone: +44  141 400-0577.* |
>> CYCLEWAY: cycle activism GB/IE: http://squelch.home.ml.org/cycleway/   <<
>> includes bikes on public transport, and cycle organisation directories <<
*Please don't send me long emails: very flakey phone connection at present!*