Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:52:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        stesin@gu.net
Cc:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu, se@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel XXpress again (was: 2 PCI busses, 2 AIC chips, 2.2.1. Howto ?

Andrew Stesin stands accused of saying:

> sorry for "replying" to my own message, but now the possibility
> of FreeBSD-2.2.1 to occupy this Big Box forever has grown to almost
> 100%... if only I knew the way to get FreeBSD recognize 2 PCI busses. :((

It should anyway - you want Stefan Esser's phone number though 8)

> 	Now I can tell you what are the major (just biggest ones :)
> 	chips on the backplane, all have "INTEL" on them:
>
> 1.	PCIset S82374SB	(I suspice that this chip is a clue..)

That's almost certainly the PCI interface and PCI/ISA bridge.

> 2.	PCIset S82375SB	(gets recognized as 82375EB? EISA works anyway)

Yup, EISA bridge.

> 3.	A|M|I 9637LZR		(chip is (c)1994 Intel, no idea what's it)

That's probably the BIOS with an American Megatrends logo on it 8)

> 4.	XPC 637909-001		(no idea)
> 5.	XPD 637910-001	2 parts	(no idea)

Um, they sound a lot like FPGA or some other gate array parts.  Do they
have logos on them?

> 	Just now I'm trying to boot a GENERIC with the increased size
> 	of vty' history buffer -- otherwise no way to catch
> 	all the messages esp. with "-v", PCI ones fly away,
> 	too many of them.  Unfortunately, building a "true"
> 	FreeBSD boot floppy isn't so trivial. :(  So no success yet...

Stick a serial cable on com1 leading to another machine, and use the
'-hv' boot flags to get it to use the serial console.

> 	I'm considering this, but I don't trust my own skills of
> 	hacking pretty unfamiliar kernel code to get production
> 	system running in 2-3 days...  I still hope that there already is
> 	a solution...

2-3 days on a new platform?  Is this your timeframe or your customer's?
Whoever, they gotta be _nuts_!