Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 09:40:55 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Chris Griffiths <cgriffiths@dca.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenOffice: Linux binary won't run

[re: OO insisting that it needs to be repaired to run every time it's started]

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:18:03AM -0400, Chris Griffiths wrote:
> Michael Lucas (mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org) wrote:
> > I have OpenOffice installed, and keep running into this issue.
>
> Which version of OpenOffice are you running, I have OO 1.0 installed now
> on a 4.5-stable machine running linux_base 6.1.

I've tried 641D and 1.0, with the same results, under both linux_base6
and linux_base7.

> > When I run soffice, I get a notice that "the script file is being
> > read."  Rather than opening a program, I get the "repair/deinstall"
> > screen.
>
> Check to make sure that your .sversionrc is pointing towards your
> install.

My .sversionrc installs pointing to
/shared/home/mwlucas/OpenOffice1.0, which is where my workstation
install lives.

I've tried editing it to point to the main install under /usr/local,
but get a warning that it's already installed there -- as you might
guess. :-)

> Also I usually install OO or SO6 as root doing the following:
>
> # ./setup -net
>
> I then point my install to /usr/local/openoffice and install everything
> there.
>
> When that is done I go back to my user and cd to the install directory
> and run
>
> bash-2.05a$ ./setup
>
> as my user and install the network install which is about 4-5 megs for
> OO in my home directory /home/useraccount/openoffice.

I did exactly this.

Thanks, Chris, but no dice.  Anyone else have a suggestion?

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons