Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 12:32:46 -0500
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@willscreek.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   popclient-2.21

I installed the popclient port on my machine, but it wouldn't work when I
tried to get it to bring mail into my mail box.  It worked fine, though, if
I brought the mail into a local file (via the `-o' option). After a bit of
poking, I found that it was trying to invoke `/bin/mail' to deliver mail to
the mailbox when `-o' wasn't specified.  I suspect that's a System V-ism;
to my knowledge, no BSD system has used `/bin/mail' to deliver mail for
quite awhile--if ever.  Anyway, I changed the source to use
`/usr/libexec/mail.local' to deliver the mail, and it worked just fine
after that.

The fix requires a simple edit of `config.h'.  I've enclosed an appropriate
patch.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@willscreek.com, http://www.netaxs.com/~bmc/
His heart was yours from the first moment that you met.

---------- Begin popclient-2.21 patch

*** config.h.orig       Sat Jan 13 09:54:03 1996
--- config.h    Sat Jan 13 11:24:36 1996
***************
*** 37,50 ****
  /***** Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) definitions  *****/

  /* fully-qualified pathname for the MDA (usually /bin/mail) */
! #define  MDA_PATH     "/bin/mail"

  /* passed as argv[0] to the MDA (usually just the basename of the mailer) */
! #define  MDA_ALIAS    "mail"

  /* MDA command args; $u passes user's login id (usually "-d $u") */
  /* (may be undefined if the mailer doesn't require arguments (?!)) */
! #define  MDA_ARGS     "-d $u"

  /* MDA command arg count -- must be greater than or equal to the number
     of space-delimited arguments defined in MDA_ARGS. */
  /***** Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) definitions  *****/

  /* fully-qualified pathname for the MDA (usually /bin/mail) */
! #define  MDA_PATH     "/usr/libexec/mail.local"

  /* passed as argv[0] to the MDA (usually just the basename of the mailer) */
! #define  MDA_ALIAS    "mail.local"

  /* MDA command args; $u passes user's login id (usually "-d $u") */
  /* (may be undefined if the mailer doesn't require arguments (?!)) */
! #define  MDA_ARGS     "$u"

---------- End popclient-2.21 patch