Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:21:50 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Ken Thompson <spooky@cableone.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring a SoundBlaster card under 5.0

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:35:23 -0600, Ken Thompson <spooky@cableone.net> =

wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm totally new to FreeBSD and find myself lost when it comes to comma=
nds =

> and config files. I do have "The Complete FreeBSD" 3rd edition and it =
has =

> been a big help. My main problem right now is that I can't seem to get=
 my =

> SB Vibra16 Sound card to work at all. Can some kind soul take me by th=
e =

> hand and lead me to a good HOWTO or other resource that will help me =

> understand configuring FreeBSD? I'm pretty good in Linux but this is j=
ust =

> different enough to throw me for a loop.
> Basic hardware is:
> AMD K6 233
> 256 MB PCI133 RAM
> Riva 128 (sgs Thomason) vid
> RealTec based NIC
> Creative SoundBlaster Vibra16

Assuming it is your only sound card (no other audio cards and no onboard=
 =

sound):

1. Add the proper "device" line to your kernel - I imagine it will be

device pcm

or

device sbc

(To find out which, use Google Groups and include search terms "freebsd,=
" =

"pcm," "sbc," and "vibra16.")

2. Recompile kernel.  (Your reference plus the Handbook [online] for =

updates should be enough to tell you how to do this.)

3. Reboot.  (There may be a reference to changing to the /dev directory =
and =

running MAKEDEV in the 3rd edition of "The Complete FreeBSD" or somethin=
g =

else you've read, but the function of creating proper devices is done =

automagically by devfs in FreeBSD 5.0.)

That should do it - let us know how you fare.

Jud