Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:34:39 -0600
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        dochawk@psu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware looking for /dev/vmnet1 rather than 0

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 02:23:17PM -0500, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:

> > > that modules seems to be loadiing, as #5:
>
> > > fac13ttyp1:hawk>kldstat
> > > Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> > >  1    6 0xc0100000 2e799c   kernel
> > >  2    1 0xc1875000 7000     linprocfs.ko
> > >  3    1 0xc18d9000 2000     rtc.ko
> > >  4    2 0xc18dc000 15000    linux.ko
> > >  5    1 0xc193b000 9000     vmmon_up.ko
> > >  6    1 0xc1945000 4000     if_tap.ko
>
> > > there is only one module, isn't there?
>
> > I think the other module is rtc.ko   Sorry I'm not more help.
>
> OK, but rtc.ko is also loaded.  Do I need to hunt down something and
> rebuild it??

I believe you've followed the correct procedure, build (including
depends) and install world; make vmware port; pkg_delete -f existing
vmware package; make install vmware port.  After that, I'm out of ideas.

> > Just hoping a *real* knowledgeable person will jump in here.
> > I'd like to see a FAQ or something on FreeBSDDiary.org that
> > takes vmware from "cradle to grave", as it were.
>
> Except for assuming that someone would know anything about samba, I got
> everything done from the page at freebsdzine.org.   I don't have the
> time to learn all about samba, or even figure out how to negotiate it's
> maze of documentation.  I'd love to see a simple samba configuration.

Thanks for the freebsdzine tip.  On the samba front, my two biggest
stumbling blocks were: 1. creating samba users and 2. finding a useful
config.  It turns out the sample .conf has good examples toward the EOF
and are easy to understand and modify for a simple install.

Good luck...

--
Regards,
Doug