Date:      24 Mar 2003 23:55:22 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Tim Showalter <tjs@psaux.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: confusion about xscreensaver-gnome

--=-sskFZQyu7966tI+ur4WH

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 23:42, Tim Showalter wrote:
> I have some questions about this port.  I'd like to run 4.09 instead of
> the currently ported 4.08, but I'm having some problems doing so.  I
> can't get things to play nicely.
>=20
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.5, and have upgraded things piecemeal so many
> times it's quite likely I have introduced problems.

FreeBSD 4.5 is no longer supported.  You should upgrade to at least
4.6.  This is documented at http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/.

>=20
> I have three problems:
>=20
> (1) xscreensaver works okay but the gnome startup sequence hangs if my
>     built-from-source version is installed but not if the /usr/ports
>     version is installed.  I'd like to understand why.  I assume I'm not
>     including enough of the options that ports supplies but it looks
>     like jwz's verion should "just work", and I'd like to help fix that.

You might try patching the port to 4.09, and see if that helps.=20
However, since you're running 4.5, there is no guarantee it will work.=20
It certainly hasn't been tested.

>=20
> (2) I don't understand some of the patches and I suspect they're
>     obsolete.  (Configuring datadir is redundant in one of the
>     Makefiles; --without-gnome is the default if GNOME 2.x exists on the
>     system anyway; etc.)  I'd like to help either get rid of these so
>     the upstream version works better, or otherwise try and get them
>     merged in.

Then submit patches.

>=20
> (3) some (new) hacks in 4.09 crash where similar hacks in 4.08 don't.
>     I'd like to upgrade and get everything else working before I try and
>     find the culprit (based on a backtrace, jwz blames Mesa but I don't
>     have a way to substantiate that yet, and the behavior of some hacks
>     between the 4.08 and 4.09 versions differs but I can't understand
>     why).
>=20
> I suspect gnome@freebsd.org is a mailing list, but I can't figure out
> where such a list would exist.  If it is, and I should be subscribed to
> it to talk about this, please let me know.

You can read more about the project at the above-mentioned URL.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks!
>=20
> Tim
>=20
>=20
> with "unsubscribe freebsd-gnome" in the body of the message
--=20

--=-sskFZQyu7966tI+ur4WH

--=-sskFZQyu7966tI+ur4WH--