Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:48:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re(2) root & group access with NIS (and weirdness!)

Ok its not a very good idea. I accept it but is there any other way to
change the root password in a set of machines easily without logging on
each of them etc.?
What do you mean by null root passwords? can you give an example?
I tried +root::::::::: instead of root:0:0....
Somehow this approach works fine for other users but for the root user
when I use 'ls -la' I get 0 in the username field of the output.
when I want to use ssh it says 'You don't exist, go away!'
even when I put +::::::::: it still says the same.
Is this some kind of trick for the root user when nis is used?

Also I have another problem I want to allow users to login according to
their GID how can I make this work? I read somewhere NIS in FreeBSD is
able to use 'group' file instead of 'netgroups' file and it works fine but
the problem is somehow I explicitly write the users name to 'group' file
to make it work it doesnt work if the staff GID number is 20 and the user
has 20 in the master.passwd entry of his/her. How can I allow 1000s of
users to login without making a netgroup file with 1000s of users just
with their native GID fields from the master.passwd file?

Thank you very much!
Evren