Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:46:51 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@home.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: en driver and talking to itself

At 11:37 AM 1/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I am not sure if this is because its a point to point interface, but from
>my own machine, I can never ping myself, only the other side.
>
>It works.  Is it supposed to work this way ?
>
>         ---Mike

Yes.  I am not 100% sure.... but it might be because normally an ARP
address is associated with the IP address.  So there is some kind of
mapping for you to ping yourself normally.  However, over ATM, PVCs are
mapped to IPs.  PVCs are "locally" known... so the PVC mapping to your own
ip address is only the case for the "other" end not for yourself.  You
could create a little mapping to "loop" back to yourself I would
imagine.  (I did this once, but I forgot the details)

Other than that, yes, it is normal to not be able to ping yourself if you
are using Classical IP over ATM.

-Carroll Kong