Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:02:16 GMT
From:      Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/183615: linprocfs: emulate /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid

FreeBSD freebsd1 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #0: Sun Jul  7 23:12:23 EEST 2013     root@freebsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XENHVM  amd64
FreeBSD freebsd1 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #0: Sun Jul  7 23:12:23 EEST 2013     root@freebsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XENHVM  amd64

I followed (somewhat) the debian document about setting up a Debian Jail on FreeBSD at https://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD/Jails

Using the Linux module and mounting some filesystems I have this working OK and can ssh into it. With this, I'm trying to make some software available to FreeBSD.

linprocfs          4       4        0   100%    /srv/jail/debjail/proc
linsysfs           4       4        0   100%    /srv/jail/debjail/sys
tmpfs          36068      60    36008     0%    /srv/jail/debjail/run
devfs              1       1        0   100%    /srv/jail/debjail/dev
linprocfs          4       4        0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc

A problem I hit is that some application (in this case: Check_MK multisite) uses the procfs to gain easy access to uuid's for session handling and object id's.

What they do is:
root@debjail:/omd/sites/freemon# grep -R "random/uuid" *
share/check_mk/web/htdocs/weblib.py:        sel_id = file('/proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid').read().strip()

In linprocfs we don't have this file available, or actually the whole directory ain't there:
builder@debjail:/build$ ls /proc/sys/kernel/
msgmni  osrelease  ostype  pid_max  sem  version

The following things are in there on Linux:
$ ls /proc/sys/kernel/random
boot_id        poolsize               uuid
entropy_avail  read_wakeup_threshold  write_wakeup_threshold

Could anyone look into this?
in case of "uuid" it seems there's a FreeBSD system call that gives back an uuid.

Myself I'll try and see if i can create a pipe or something in that place that gives back a uuid on read?
>How-To-Repeat:
mount linux procfs, check for existance of /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid

should be accessible like this:
$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid
bee78388-ce08-450a-be12-dcbbc6c4f3f1

(but isn't since we don't got it)