Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 2004 01:43:41 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Radu MOLNAR <taipan@hawat.cc.ubbcluj.ro>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Symbios scsi and too large ata

Hello
I a computer wich has a Symbios scsi controller and a 40G ata drive.
Because the computer's bios is too old it does notdetect the 40G drive.
So i tried to install FreeBSD on this box and failed miserably. 5.3BETA5
would freeze on boot. Only prints 2 lines or so.

Then i tried 4.10. This one booted but doesnt see my scsi drive, only the
ata one, on which ofcourse there is no point on instaling the system
because it wont boot.

I read some documentation and saw that Symbios scsi controllers are
supported in both 4.10 and 5.2.1 so i realy dont understand what the
problem is.

In scsi bios utility it sais that the device uses irq 9. When doing kernel
configuration on CLI mode i saw there is a device sio3 that uses the irq 9
but it is not enabled.

I also booted OpenBSD on this box and it detected my scsi drive as sd0.
But would really prefer running FreeBSD to Open so if you have any ideas
pls tell me.

And if it is not possible to install the system on the scsi drive maybe
some suggestions on how to boot the sistem from the ata drive which doesnt
boot(some floppies or smth like that)

thanks

  Radu