Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 2015 23:54:12 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Antony Uspensky <uspensky@x-art.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Raphael Eiselstein <rabe@uugrn.org>
Subject:   Re: 10.1-RELEASE: bsdinstall on zfs: /var and /usr on zroot/ROOT/default

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Raphael Eiselstein wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently installed a fresh 10.1-RELEASE (amd64) using bsdinstalls
> zfs-setup on two mirrored disks.
>
> As I wanted to move zroot/usr/home to zroot/home I noticed that
> everything from /usr and /var is in the "/" mount (zroot/ROOT/default)
>
> The "mountpoint" property of zroot/var and zroot/usr seems correct but
> in fact it is not mounted there.
>
> See http://sigsys.de/files/freebsd_101_zfs_root_fail_screenshot.jpg
> (sorry, had no networking at this moment, so just a regular screenshot)
>
> Is this a known bug?
> How can this be circumvented?
> How can I "fix" this?

This is not a bug and you should not fix it:
this setup uses boot environments and /var and /usr with content belongs
to particular BE. If/when you will fork BE with, say, CURRENT, it will
need different files, hierarchies and filesets in /usr and /var.
On the other hand, /home, /var/log, /tmp, /var/tmp et cetera live outside
of any BE.

Good news: booting into single user you may use vi or mc :)

A.