Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:38:21 -0500
From:      "Brian J. Sletten" <brian@parabon.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   WOW!

I just downloaded JavaWebStart and it works beautifully under FreeBSD w/ Linux emulation (4.3 BETA).

For those of you not familiar with this, check out: http://java.sun.com today for details.

You download a 600K zip file and install it. From then on, any document that refers to an
appropriately MIME-typed Java application will download the latest version and run the
application on your machine, not in the browser. The browser can go away. It offers the
same types of security as running in a browser without *ANY* of the inconveniences. On Windows boxes, you can even install an icon on the desktop for one click, network-deployed client-side Java application! Tres cool.

Note, this will probably only work with the Linux communicator. I modded the install script to point to /compat/linux/bin/bash; everything else worked out of the box. There are a page of applications to download too.

I believe that it is possible to configure the web start stuff to use varying-levels of security too.

In any case, this coupled with JDK1.3 is going to change *MANY* things about client-side Java development and it works under FreeBSD to boot.

Hot damn.

--
How could the drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river
flows on. -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery