Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 07:29:26 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind 8.1.2 cache poisoning

It can't be hard to poison the cache. Many daemons do reverse lookups
on hosts which connect to them, presenting a perfect opportunity to
send a spoofed response that gets into the cache. If the "claimed"
name and the spoofed one match, they can get stuck for a very long
time (just make the time to live very long on purpose).

For a standard that holds the Internet together, it is amazing just
how weak and awkward DNS really is.

--Brett