Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:53:23 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        james_mapson@museum.rain.com
Cc:        Hans Lambermont <hans@lambermont.dyndns.org>, "" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Partial kernel log lines in security output

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, James Long wrote:

JL> > It's a cruft from rotating kernel messages buffer, usually sourced from "ipfw
JL> > deny log" ipfw statements, which explode kernel message buffer. Harmless,
JL> > usually, though.
JL>
JL> Still, I cringe each time I have to tell someone that, for example,
JL> the "file system full" message they're pointing to is "just a bug."
JL>
JL> This has existed for a long time, in my experience (> 1yr), but perhaps
JL> no one has yet filed a PR on it.

You know, it's very easy to report, but much harder to fix (at least
_properly).

And, moreover, Report-only PRs are taken with much less enthusiasm comparing
with ones with real solutions ;-)

Sidenote: I'm unfortunately out of useful ideas, except the very simple: one
may skip 1st line of both saved and current dmesg (via, for example, `tail +2')
before comparing...

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]