Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:44:16 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>
Cc:        Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: prioritizing small ip packets?

Hi Devon, hi Baldur,

(this thread would better seat on -net@, IMO)

> >>So, i haven't found a way to make this happen, i googled
> >>for it but didn't find anything. Does PF or IPFW have this
> >>feature?
>
> I'm not sure the rationale is appropriate, though. You should be more
> worried about prioritizing ACKs if this is an asynchronous low-speed
> connection.

This is true, prioritizing ACKs is very useful when you want to download
with full speed while uploading.  But I tend to agree with Baldur's idea
too : I give HTTP and DNS requests as well as interactive SSH session
(TOS field set to "low delay") a heavy weight in order to have them
practically unaffected by a big mail delivery or a scp.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen