Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:33:46 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Cole <gregscole@me.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD 10.1 (and 11) on CuBox-i4pro

On Sun, 2015-03-01 at 23:19 -0500, Greg Cole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to boot into FreeBSD 10.1 (or 11) on a CuBox-i4pro.
>
> I've tried from images generated using the crochet tool (using
> Wandboard-Quad)
> - and also using pre-built/WandBoard images from ftp.freebsd.org.  I've
> dd'd
> the u-boot.imx file per README instructions from the
> sysutils/u-boot-cubox-hummingboard port.
>
> I believe the CuBox is reaching the first boot stages - evidenced by
> appearance of red LED on front of box (and a brief appearance of
> Solid-Run name/logo on connected HDMI monitor).  But then the screen
> blanks (the red LED remains on until I remove power) and I'm at a
> loss for what to do next.
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something really basic re: informing the boot
> loader where to "go next" - and wondering/hoping someone else has
> managed to get further.
>
> I sure will appreciate any pointers.  Thanks,
>
> Greg

10.1 is a non-starter for most all arm systems, but 10-stable is in good
shape.  (We were not able to get the 10.1 branch whipped into shape for
arm before the release deadline.)

SolidRun systems (cubox-i and hummingboard) now work on 11-current.
I've just committed the last missing piece to build and install all the
dtb files, in r279551.  The dtb files for all imx6 systems will get
installed into /boot/dtb, and the u-boot script can set the fdt_file
variable to name the right one for ubldr to load.

Speaking of u-boot, there is also a port/package for u-boot for SolidRun
systems, just "pkg install u-boot-cubox-hummingboard".  This will
install the files you need in /usr/local/share/u-boot and there is a
readme in there that tells you how to put the file(s) onto an sdcard.

For kernel config, just use IMX6 (the old WANDBOARD-* files need to be
deleted, they are obsolete).

The crochet script needs to be updated to use the new u-boot packages
for the systems where they are available, and to use the IMX6 kernel
config for all imx6 systems (but I don't have any control over that).

Oh, I guess I should mention that I have 11-current running on a cubox
i4pro.  Gonzo has tested a hummingboard (solo). 10-stable should work
fine too, expecpt that it doesn't have the new stuff to build the dtb
files yet.

-- Ian