Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:05:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security issue with 4.2

Hi, Doug,

Doug Young wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I'd appreciate feedback from the list on the following issue. As far
> as I can tell, the attempted intrusion was not successful, however I
> think its probably time to take another look at increasing security
> measures & hopefully someone can suggest sources of suitable
> documentation. I tend to rely fairly heavily on the user-friendly
> sites such as bsdvault.net & freebsddiary.org but if there's other
> sources of fairly explicit info on this subject I'd be very interested
> in knowing.
>
> Some weeks after installing 4.2 & instituting as many security
> features as I considered reasonable for a machine with nothing of
> particular value on it, I discovered the following entries in
> /var/log/messages
>
> Jan 14 11:52:41 bryden ftpd [32545]: /etc/pwd.db: No such file or directory
> Jan 14 12:04:50 bryden ftpd [32559]: /etc/pwd.db: No such file or directory
>
> which I presume means some vandal was intent on mischief

Actually, probably not.  /etc/pwd.db is used by ftpd to map UIDs to
usernames for remote display with ls.  Those error messages probably mean
that you either have a valid user logged on in ftp in a chroot
environment, or you did not include /etc/pwd.db in your anonymous ftp
tree.  In any case, pwd.db was not sent to the user in this example.

pwd.db is considered "insecure", because it does not contain any password
information (encrypted or non), therefore, it is fairly safe to include in
an ftp tree, with permissions 444.  The worst that can happen is an
attacker could use it to find valid usernames on your system for brute
force password attacks or spam.  If that's a concern, many sysadmins
either don't include pwd.db at all, or they build a watered down version
with only a few usernames.

Better yet, if you don't need ftp, disable the daemon in /etc/inetd.conf
and restart inetd

spwd.db, on the other hand, should be protected with care :-)

> The IP of the culprit is "216.232.154.85", nslookup tells me that
> belongs to "atg93398y2j4.bc.hsia.telus.net"
>
> Since the number resolves to a name I figure the user probably has a
> permanent account with telus.net,

The fact that it reverse-resolves doesn't tell you much, but the name
itself suggests a highspeed user in BC, Canada.  If you have evidence to
support an attack by this user, you'd have to report the exact time of the
attack, as well.

> so notification of the telus.net webmaster is in order.

A security officer would be better equipped to deal with the notification,
but I personally don't believe you really have a problem.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon