Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:01:19 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        David Scheidt <rufus@brain.mics.net>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

Brad Knowles said on Oct  2, 2001 at 23:42:44:
> At 10:22 PM +0200 10/2/01, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> >>  I'm not convinced this needs to be part of the editor.  Checkout par
> >>  (ports/textproc/par), I think it does everything vim does.
> >
> >  Well, I want it to be part of the editor.  I use the editor more for
> >  normal text than for programming.
>
> 	You use "gqap".  I use "{!}par".  What's the difference?

Perhaps only that I wouldn't have known about par if someone hadn't
told me on this list; whereas I learned about gqap from vim's help
system.  To this day I know lots of people who don't know about
paragraph-formatting even under vim (not that they'd use it if they
knew) and don't mind ragged right margins, overflowing lines etc. I
didn't intend to start a flamewar, and yes, nvi's license definitely
is friendlier to BSD.

As for how powerful vim's para features are compared to par, I have no
idea.  It works for me; perhaps some time if I find it too limiting,
I'll look into par...