Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 05:05:48 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        steve farrell <spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic - double fault

>i'm not sure if this problem is related to this, but i've been running
>a -stable i supped, well, i guess 2 days ago.  i posted in -questions
>about how it would seem to run out of processes unexplainably after
>about 12 hours of single-user use.  well, more recently it went down
>like a rock without a single error message while running netscape.
>i've since reverted to 2.1-R and i'll probably make a remark in a
>couple of days if that seems to have fixed the problems...

   Please describe the type of activity that the machine normally sees.

>in addition to my config file which i posted in -questions, one other
>thing to note is that i have a $12 NE2000 clone.  i know linux had some
>huge problems with these things causing crashes -- how about freebsd?
>might this have caused the crash i experienced today?

   The NE2000 driver in FreeBSD is rock solid. There are no known bugs.

>i've noticed that freebsd network performance is significantly slower
>than linux pre-2.0 with this card.  for example, ftp from a sparc 1
>maxes at 300 kb/sec, often slower, and rather unevely despite the fact
>that the sparc is about 2 feet away on a un-trafficked lan.  with linux i
>was getting 550-600 kb/sec evenly.  (sparc <-> another sparc seems to
>be around a meg/sec).

  I have one here that I get about 650K/sec with between two FreeBSD machines.
The Suns do weird things with the TCP window. Last time I looked at Linux, it
did weird things, too. :-)

-DG

David Greenman