Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:21:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bjorn Dittmer-Roche <dittmeb@mail.rockefeller.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1 crashes with USB to IDE

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 07:41:55PM -0400, Bjorn Dittmer-Roche wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > 	I've got a USB to IDE converter which, if I try and put it to use
> > for any amount of time, causes my 5.1 release system to hang in various
> > ways, and it either leaves me with a completely locked system or with
> > disks that won't sync (meaning, amount other things, that I can't shutdown
> > properly).
>
> Try again with current (new ATA driver) or stick to 4.x.

Sadly, the problem happened last night when the drive wasn't even plugged
in. The only thing the incidents have in common is lots of disk activity
(My main drive is IDE). A new ATA driver would probably be a very good
thing as far as that goes, but I've had bad luck with current.  (last time
I tried current, using nfs caused my machine to crash! On second thought,
it was the same machine so maybe it was the same problem?). I think if 5.1
release is so unstable, current is probably not for me. Back to 4.8, I
guess....

	bjorn