Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:56:07 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        Chan Fook Sheng <chen68@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backup system for FreeBSD

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 07:15:53PM +0800, Chan Fook Sheng wrote:

> I have a Quantum DLT tape drive, and I wish to perform backup for
> FreeBSD with it, is there any FreeBSD drivers for it?
> Or there exist some other tape backup drives that has a FreeBSD driver

Looking at http://www.quantum.com/, I take it it's a SCSI-2 tape drive.
(At least, Quantum don't list ATAPI tape drives on their website....)
In which case the tape drive will be supported as long as your SCSI
controller card is supported. (Most Adaptec/Buslogic/NCR controllers
come into this category, but take a look at

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook9.html

to be sure.)

> and FreeBSD backup and restore software?

FreeBSD contains two commands 'dump' and 'restore' as part of its
distribution. (Type 'man dump' and 'man restore' for details, if you have
access to any flavour of UNIX box.) The command format isn't pretty, but
it would be very easy to set up a couple of scripts to do full and incremental
dumps of your disk(s) so you wouldn't have to worry about it much :)

I'm not aware of any packages that provide a nice front-end to the
backup/restore process, though perhaps someone else might know......?

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |