Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:33:53 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dump to dlt gets write error

Karl Denninger writes:
> I've seen this kind of stupidity before and you're not going to like the
> problem or solution.
>
> Put the DLT on a different SCSI bus (different host adapter) from the disks.
>
> Specifically, separate the fast/wide and narrow SCSI devices.
>
> I've seen both DLTs and other "non-wide" devices have kittens with disks
> running fast/wide on the same SCSI bus.  It usually manifests itself as
> an I/O error on the narrow device - which is exactly what you're getting.
>
> My guess is that the hardware on the narrow (and not-so-fast) device gets
> mightily confused by the shorter signal times (even though they're not
> aimed at that target) and randomly "freaks out" enough to botch an
> operation.

I'd go a bit in the other direction and ask, "How is the transition
between narrow and wide being handled?" Specifically people tend to
purchase "narrow to wide" SCSI cables and simply plug things up with
narrow devices at the tail end of the SCSI bus. Narrow terminator on
the far end, wide terminator on the SCSI card. Nothing in the middle
terminating the high bits of the wide bus. There are special
terminators made just for that purpose.

I'd like to think problems are caused by the device having problems.
But we're talking about electrons here, and those little guys are
sneaky. It may very well be a wide device is causing the narrow device
to have problems.

You are supposed to be safe if the internal narrow devices are connected
to the 2940UW on the narrow connector, and the wide devices are
connected the same, as long as you don't put a Tee in your SCSI bus by
adding an external device. Just because the 2940UW has 3 connectors
doesn't mean you can use all of them at once.

Another good way to deal with everything internal is to route wide cable
everywhere but use wide-to-narrow IDC-like adapters right at each
device. About $15 each. Don't use the narrow connector on the 2940. The
external wide connector is still usable this way.

An old used narrow Adaptec 2940, or Symbios '810, or a new Adaptec
2930, might be a very good solution for the tape and CDROM.