Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:24:16 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Jasper Wallace <jasper@staff.argonet.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install *actually* friendly

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 12:12:47PM +0200, Jasper Wallace wrote:
> on my machine at home I've got:
>
> chown $USER /dev/fd0a
>
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/GiveConsole and
>
> chown root /dev/fd0a
>
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
>
> so that when people log in via xdm they can mount and use floppies without
> being root (and some have pretty icons on their dsesktops to do it for
> them...)

For people not using xdm you can use fbtab(5), mine has

    /dev/ttyv0		0600	/dev/console:/dev/fd0a

Anyone logging in on /dev/ttyv0 will get ownership of /dev/console and
/dev/fd0a, with the permissions on these devices set appropriately.
This functionality is part of /usr/bin/login. It might make sense to split
it out into a separate program, and alter both login and TakeConsole to
call this program, so that the functionality is only in one place.

Thoughts?

I suppose it's also possible that xdm uses login, in which case this
functionality already exists -- I don't run xdm.

"Being a naval officer is more than being a middle manager in a company
 with a strict dress code." -- Paul Tomblin, in the Scary Devil Monastery