Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:05:27 +0700
From:      "Rashid N. Achilov" <shelton@sentry.granch.ru>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Docs in SGML

On Sunday 17 June 2001 21:41, Bill Moran wrote:
> "Rashid N. Achilov" wrote:
> > Ten (10) years ago in USSR were only DOS boxes (Imagine, NO Windoze :-))
> > ). And, of course, no programs with Russian interface. :-)That time I
> > already was a Programmer :-) Since that I'm got so accustomed to English
> > interface, that and now for me "1 Помощь 2 Меню 3 Смотр" (here was used
> > russian letters) looks like strange and enormous rather "1 Help 2 Menu 3
> > View".
> >
> > Thats way I find all this noise about "localization" useless for me.
>
> I can understand that and I respect your ability to work in 2 different
> languages. Being from the U.S., I'm pretty lazy in that aspect as I've
> only needed to know English.

First time it was a mandatory :-) Next time it was preferrable environment
:-) My first computer was BIG :-) IBM 370 :-) And I think, that "localized"
versions, (especially Windoze, exclude M$ Office) worked worse, localized
games can hung/crash at any time etc...But it is offtopic there, when you
want to continue, let's go to mail :-)

> However, keep in mind that the localization effort is for everyone using
> a computer. There are probably many, many more people in the USSR that
> would not be comfortable trying to work in English software than there
> are people like you.

Well, for office manager or accountant it is true. For programmer, developer,
sysadmin or like it is completely false. I can't imagine UNIX user (even user
:-)), who doesn't know English :-))
--
   With Best Regards.
   Rashid N. Achilov (RNA1-RIPE), Web: http://granch.ru/~shelton