Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:59:57 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ 18.12 (directory layout) outdated?

If memory serves me right, David Schultz wrote:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/advanced.html#ALTERNATE-
> DIRECTORY-LAYOUT
>
> Isn't this obsolete as of 4.5 with the introduction of dirprefs?

Just a nitpick:  There has *always* been a dirprefs() function.  What
happened between 4.4-RELEASE and 4.5-RELEASE was that this function was
*changed* in an attempt to speed up filesystem operations.

I agree...this needs an update.

> I think a number of other entries in section 18 are also out of date
> or obsolete.  Most of the references to FreeBSD 2.X can probably go
> from the FAQ.  Apologies if this has been discussed before; I couldn't
> find anything in the archives.  Please CC responses to me.

Aside from the directory layout question, I didn't see anything that
was obviously wrong, but if there's anything specific you think should
go away (or be updated), do a send-pr or drop a note to this list.

(OK, I see one.  "Why does make world clobber my existing installed
binaries?"  With the recommended buildworld/buildkernel/installworld/
installkernel upgrade process, this question doesn't make quite as much
sense as it used to.)

Bruce.