Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:03:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        hsu@clinet.fi, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gated broken, needs recompilation

> > gated seem have broken sometime in August, it fails to get any info on
> > devices from the kernel, and thus either crashes on failed assertion or is
> > unable to determine router id.
>
> > This can be worked around by recompiling, but no more single binary for all
> > routers, if this was intentional change.  Any ideas what was the change ?
>
> The size and arrangement of some of the fields in `struct ifnet' was
> moved around to make a better management interface possible.  That's
> the price you pay for running -current.

I now better understand the Windows practive of putting interface
version numbers in their drivers and crap.

Makes you long for each structure to start with:

struct {
	long	version;	/* version number of interface*/

And each initialization to start with:

struct xxx yyy = {
	96082200,	/* 22 Aug 1996, version 00*/

Bletch.

Then, of course, some idiot would insist on the kernel carrying around
all the old interfaces, just like NetWare and Windows...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.