Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2009 17:42:20 -0400
From:      grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help picking a video card and other related gear

> And of course dead pixel warranties.

I understand production yields... and supply/demand for top binned
parts... and $1200. If they're present and annoying, it's going
back. I'll live with any that grow post warranty.

> Given your interest in color calibration, I assume you want MVA,

I'm used to calibrating NTSC TV gear, because it sorely needs it.
Most computer gear seems fair out of the box if you just drop the
contrast and brightness.

> PVA, or IPS with 8 bits/color, rather than TN with only 6 bits/color.

That would be the 24bit/pixel in the DVI-D spec.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Forgot to post the link to the displays for you all, oops.

Home > Monitors > LCD Monitors > Advanced Search > Resolution 2560x1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2040190020+1109925153&Subcategory=20
Check out the LG W3000H-Bn.

Apple M9179LL/A  [the first. moot now when compared to the others]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824110003

> IIRC some mainboards "support" using ECC RAM but don't bother
> running the traces for the extra bits.

Or the bios doesn't enable it if the chipset supports it.

> The HD-5500 is listed as having full support for both ATSC and NTSC.

Just saw that, cool. OTA NTSC is dead here, so I only need OTA ATSC.
My now obsolete BT848 tuner cards used a patch cord with bktr. I'm
keeping them for s-video capture projects later on, not as tuners.

> OTA ATSC in the US is mpeg2 transport stream 480i, 720p and 1080i.
> Max bitrate is 19.3 Mbps.

Cool, so I only need 16.5TB/year to store one M-F show in raw TS ;)

> Can FreeBSD run different CPU cores at different clock speeds?

Didn't know that was in the chips so for any OS to do that.