Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:25:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne@penguinpowered.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware requirements for firewall

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Wayne Pascoe wrote:

> > Another alternative.. prepare both machines. Have the better machine ready
> > to do an able to be connected/switched to at a moments notice. Put the
> > slower machine on at the slowest day. Monitor it closely as traffic grows.
>
> That's probably the way forward, yes. Thanks.

Also go over the kernel and disable anything you don't need. I have never
needed to squeeze every cycle of performance out of a machine, but it
should help to reduce un necessary programs from been run.

You may also try to find from others which firewall is more efficient if
ipfw or ipf. Also find from others who have had firewalls on busy networks
how rules order may possible have an impact in performance.

Best of luck in this project..