Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:54:52 +0100
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printing from windows via Samba (printer found ok, but not printing)

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

Hello and good evening,

  I've got that little problem with printing from win2k an a HP DeskJet 930
  connected to my FreeBSD box.

  Samba works quite well (shares on the win2k machine, shares on the
  FreeBSD box, read, write etc etc), except that it seems to be very slow
  on the whole (transferring a 2MB file from the Samba server to the win2k
  box seems to take forever, but that's a different story).

  I have attached my smb.conf file in case someone might have a look
  through it.

  Basically, I have struggled with setting up samba to allow every machine
  on the network to set up a network printer via the Add New Printer
  wizard, which worked fine eventually, the printer is found and the driver
  installed.

  But when I try to print some stuff (MSWord doc, picture or textfile), it
  loads the file to be printed to the samba server as it should, but then
  nothing happens.

  The file seems to get transferred correctly into whichever spooling
  directory is defined but fails to get printed to the DeskJet eventually.

  I've read the stuff over at www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd (the FreeBSD
  Cheat Sheets) and Chapter 8 of the FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide
  which helped quite a lot. But now I am kind of lost.

  Help would be appreciated.

thanks and regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos
	ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

[global]
  workgroup = Shithead
  server string = "Deadcell - FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE Samba %v"
;  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
;  socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY
  guest account = pcguest
  browseable = yes
  print command = lpr -s -P %p %s;rm %s ; taken from the FreeBSD Networker'S Guide
  printing = bsd
  printer driver file = /usr/smbshares/printer/printer.def
  printcap name = /etc/printcap ; is that necessary?
  log file = /var/log/samba_log.%m
  encrypt passwords = yes
  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/lock
  share modes = yes

;[printers]
;  comment = HPDJ930C
;  printable = yes
;  path = /var/spool/samba
;  public = yes
;  writeable = no
; This worked before, but installing the printer on each machine
; locally was required. Not the best solution.

[printer$]
  path = /usr/smbshares/printer
  write list = ant
  guest ok = yes
  browseable = yes

[HP DeskJet 930c series]
  printer driver = hp deskjet 930c series
;  printer driver location = \\%h\PRINTER$
  printable = yes
  browseable = yes
  comment = HPDJ930c Printer
  path = /var/spool/samba