Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:16:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        sas@schell.de (Sascha Schumann)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/~andreas/benches/index.html

Sascha Schumann said:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 10:26:19PM +0100, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> > > Yes, and please stop spreading FUD. It looks rather narrow-minded to be
> > > proud of such a comparison.
> >
> > Look at the new values ;-) Satisfied ?! ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Andreas Klemm                               http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
> > News :  FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE Linux 6.0 SMP by 230% !!!
>
> Well, the numbers have changed (^^^ not). But the method is still insane. You
> are comparing not the same process, because there are numerous things which
> differ (e.g. libraries, compiler version, toolchain). The only claim I would
> derive from such a test would be that "you can build your programs faster on
> FreeBSD." Sigh.

That is one of the things that we use FreeBSD at work for: compile engine.

To build code for other OSes.  I disagree with your usage of the word
"insane".  At worst the comparison is "ill-advised" to publicize.  At best
it shows the FreeBSD developers that FreeBSD is reasonably competitive
with Linux in the SMP arena.

In no way can such comparisons be used to proclaim that FreeBSD is always
"better" than Linux.  Geesh, the measurement doesn't even claim that FreeBSD
is always faster, but when someone claims that it is sometimes faster
(with disclosure of the circumstance, in good faith), there is a furor over
it.  It is that reason why I try to avoid talking about the relative performance
of the OSes.  In fact, by talking about the fact that FreeBSD is faster, it
gives hints to the competition.  It is NOT a good idea to help the competition,
when that competition automatically flames or is inflammatory when a positive
comparison about FreeBSD is announced.

Firstly, your choice of the word "insane" is inflammatory.  Secondly, if
the libraries, compiler version and toolchain on Linux distributions are
slower, then the distributors of such should consider that as a challenge.
If it is the kernel that is slower, then that should be considered as a
challenge (or at least a datapoint.)

By telling the "competition" (which messages like what I am responding to show
the nature of such) how and why their product is inferior in certain areas, it
helps them.  There is no value to help people with the assets of a project, who
don't have good will towards that project.  Luckily, the subtile side-effects
of how software is written are not always easily derived from source code.

(Source-code isn't necessarily the family jewels, and force-source distribution
 fanatics just don't get it.  The more complex a project is, the less often that
 source is an easy way to determine the approaches taken in the design of a
 product.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid