Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:20:16 -0500
From:      "Predius" <predius@netzero.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need PCI/VIA chipset help (was Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers)

There are a couple known issues going on with the VIA Chipset line (Some
acknowledge by VIA partially, some not.) beyond just the 686B bug.

Here's a couple sites with details.  Myself, I think it's a BIOS writer's
problem as well, but unfortunatly with most VIA boards, their goal is
performance over stability, leaving people like us SOL.

http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/software/
http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/813/1.html <- In german, bring your fish

Myself, I'd love to see a couple kernel options that could impliment the
chipset tweaks, I think they'd most appropriately be included with the other
cpu tweaks, and should have an appropriate warning attached to them.

Joshua Coombs