Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <e_gravel@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] shell scripting, testing for files

First off, I'm not subscribed through this email
address, but I will follow the online archives, so
if you simply "reply" it'll take longer for me to
answer :)

OK, here's my question. I'm trying to create a simple
shell script which will test for the existance of a
file whose name follows a pattern (ex: r*.txt). If
I use "if test -e r*.txt" it works very well as long
as I don't have more than one file with that pattern
(in which case it chokes). If I use "if return=`ls
r*.txt`" it works well if I have one or more files
(in which case it saves the output to $return),
however
if there are now files which follow the pattern, I
get an unwanted error message from ls (that I would
want to suppress, but haven't found any option to do
so). So neither method works for my purpose, and I
don't know where to look. Anywone have an idea on how
I can check for the existance of one or more files of
a certain name pattern? Essentially, that's all I want
to know (if there is, I can always do an ls later on).

Thanks!

Emmanuel