Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 15:49:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Aram Khalili <aram@cs.umd.edu>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel compile problem

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Kent Stewart wrote:

> If you are using a "make buildkernel" it should not look at
> /usr/include.

Where else does it look for standard header files?

> It really sounds like you have a inappropriate kernel
> configuration. What are the error messages?

The kernel conf is unchanged from successful compiles.  This problem
started about 2-3 weeks ago.  The offending command and error are:

cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/apocalypse.wl; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
MACHINE_ARCH=i386 MACHINE=i386
OBJFORMAT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec
PERL5LIB=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503 GROFF_BIN_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin
GROFF_FONT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/share/groff_font
GROFF_TMAC_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/share/tmac
DESTDIR=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386 INSTALL="sh /usr/src/tools/install.sh"
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
OBJFORMAT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec:/usr/libexec
make KERNEL=kernel depend
make: don't know how to make /usr/src/sys/../include/stddef.h. Stop
*** Error code 2

The mailer puts a few newlines in there, but that's what appears on
screen.  I've seen others, when I was trying to figure out what was wrong
a few weeks ago, but all the ones I was able to interpret concern header
files, and that they can't be found in something that evaluates to
/usr/src/include .

> What version are you trying to build a kernel for? My most recent
> system upgrade for RELENG_4 was on 25 May but I haven't seen any
> changes that would affect building a kernel since then.
>
> A cvsup of src-all had a few changes to things like ata-disk and a
> number of documentation changes.

I track src-base,src-sys and src-sys-crypto for RELENG_4.  I did a cvsup
right before compilation (5/30/02 12:00) but the problem reappears when I
delete the symlink to /usr/include.

> I have a buildworld running now. The kernel build will start in around
> 25 minutes. I will have a better idea if it is your error at that point.

I don't track src-all, and that could be the problem, because I ran into
that between 4.3 and 4.4 (or 4.4 and 4.5?), where a system program (forget
which) failed, because it expected an older kernel.  Now that I did a
uname, I noticed that the current kernel is now 4.6-RC.  Maybe I need to
get src-all and do a buildworld.  However, the error should look different
than .h files, and I'll probably have to wait for the weekend to do that,
and the world cup starts tomorrow :).

-aram