Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:55:57 -0500
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Lost drive under BSD...Now what?

	Ok, here's the scenario.  Drive 1 was originally formatted and treated as
the main system drive and contains root, /tmp, /pub (for our lan internal
http junk) the swap partition, and /var, drive 2 contains /home and all of
the user directories plus all of the file storage for the file server part
of the computer in a slice called /files.

	Now, here's the catch.  Drive 1 runs fine, drive 2 is DOA.  I have a
backup of both drives effective midnight yesterday.  Drive 2 died at about
5am, before anyone came in.  Thankfully the server did a failover to the
secondary file server so nobody noticed that the main file server was down
except me.

	Now, here's the catch.  Both machines are designed to replicate back and
forth between each other so that in the event of failure of one of them,
the other is 100% current.  Both machines are backed up at night via
tape.  So, what is my best bet once I replace this second drive and format
it out?  Should I restore the slices and file structure on drive 2, or just
wait and see if under replication the failover server recovers all that
data onto the main server.  Or should I take option C.  Replace drive D,
format and reinstall the main server, restore the whole blasted thing from
tape, then let it replicate?  I want to make this as painless as
possible.  So long as my backup server doesn't die, I'll be fine.

	Anyone got any ideas?  Both machines are identical AMD-Athlon 800's, 512
ram, 60gig WD HD's x2, riding on an Asus motherboard.  Neither computer is
running Raid.  Your help would be more than welcome.  Thanks.  This file
server is running on FreeBSD 4.0 just so you know.  :)