Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:43:34 +0200
From:      "Peter Korsten" <peterk@iae.nl>
To:        <freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is anyone working on "Audio and Music Transmission Protocol" (a.k.a. mLAN)?

Hi,

I just joined the group today. I've been working with FreeBSD for some five
years now, although lately I do my programming on Solaris (SPARC), while
trying to convince my colleagues to ditch Linux and go with FreeBSD.

I've a keen interest in electronic music (I wouldn't go as far as to call
myself an amateur musician) and I'm fascinated by Yamaha's mLAN protocol,
that sends audio and MIDI over FireWire. Recently, I've communicated with
someone at Yamaha Japan about it, and although it looks like the mLAN
protocol itself, which controls musical equipment, is yet not attainable
because of the expensive license, he encouraged me to develop a driver for
the underlying AMP, short for the Audio and Music Transmission Protocol. So
I've downloaded the specifications from the 1394 Trade Association's web
site.

I was wondering, am I the only one who is interested in this (in order not
to duplicate effort)?

Regards,

- Peter