Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 22:11:22 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: /host/freefall/a/ncvs/src/share/mk bsd.port.mk

 *   1. Add Satoshi's much-requested "fake pkg_add" option to the installation
 *      rule.

Jordan, I'm not sure if this is going to work.  From cvs diff:

+               cp ${PKGDIR}/PLIST ${PKG_DBDIR}/${PKGNAME}/+CONTENTS; \
+               cp ${PKGDIR}/DESCR ${PKG_DBDIR}/${PKGNAME}/+DESC; \
+               cp ${PKGDIR}/COMMENT ${PKG_DBDIR}/${PKGNAME}/+COMMENT; \

I remember pkg_create and pkg_add did some mucking of the packing list
before putting it in there.  Part of the reason I gave up is that I
couldn't figure out exactly what it was doing.  Are you sure this is
the correct thing to do?  What about the @ignore and the extra files
added at the end?

Also, what happens if the user specifies PREFIX?  The first @cwd
command should be changed, right?  Actually, the first @cwd in the
PLIST is always ignored for the package now, because we call
pkg_create with -p.  In case the port has a bogus @cwd command, the
packaging will work, but this fake pkg_add needs some help.

By the way, I believe pkg_create allow variables in packing lists,
right?  I've seen PLIST files with @cwd ${X11BASE} and the likes in
it.  These should be replaced when they are copied over, right?

Also, what about the other files, like REQ and INSTALL?  Well these
are easy to fix, I guess we can just add some more .if exists() tests.

Well, sorry about complaining too much, but I'm not sure how this is
supposed to work.  I didn't think it was that easy, and I'm still not
sure. ;)

Satoshi