Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:49:55 +0100
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What usb memory sticks work with STABLE and CURRENT?

+ Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@sr.se>:

| Question is all in the Subject

Well, there are tons of them out there, and I doubt that anybody keeps
a list.  But should we not expect them all to work?  They're generally
umass devices, and they should work just fine.  If it's supposed to
work on Windows NT or XP without needing any extra driver, then it
ought to work on FreeBSD as well.

I am aware of only one problem, which is usually solved by setting the
sysctl variable:

  kern.cam.da.no_6_byte=1

If you have old devices (SCSI) which need 6 byte commands, a kernel
patch is in order.

I suspect the question isn't really specific to the -mobile list.  But
since you did ask here, be aware that laptops may have trouble with
some power hungry devices.  This should not apply to memory sticks,
but rather to those tiny little disk cabinets with an actual disk
drive inside, which plug into a USB port.

- Harald